Thursday 4 September 2014

DIY Sharpie Printed T-Shirt

Look, I remembered to post my DIY Sharpie Printed T-Shirt thing! I meant to post this up last week, but I forgot (blaming going back to school for that), but it's alright now. I still kind of settling back into school, but I think it will be all settled by the time our exam results come out next week. They are coming out on Thursday, so expect me to be either, depressed or excited in next weeks blog post. School's grand, I'm still getting used to waking up early, but otherwise everything's pretty much ok. So let's start this thing.


What You Will Need:
~ Sharpie Marker
~ Pencil
~ Paper
~ Old t-shirt you want to remake (better if the t-shirt does not have a ribbed texture)
~ Iron

Method:
1. First lay out your t-shirt and decide if you want to change the style a bit. For example you could cut off some of the end to make a crop top or the sleeves to make a sleeveless top, whatever you want. I decided not to cut mine as I liked the shape.
2. Draw out a practice version of your design on a sheet of paper. This gives you a guideline of what you are going to Sharpie-in later.
3. Next I lay out my t-shirt on a flat surface with a hardback book inside to smoothen the front of the t-shirt. I suggest pulling to t-shirt tight on both sides and taping them down to get the surface smoother.
4. Place your template of your design under the top layer of the t-shirt, so you can still see the pattern underneath. Next use the pencil to trace this design onto the t-shirt. 
5. Once this is done, look at your t-shirt to ensure it's how you like it to be. At this point you can change parts of the design to suit the t-shirt before the permanent part comes to play. 
6. When you are happy with the design, start tracing it with the Sharpie. Keep pulling the t-shirt tight to prevent bleeding. This process will most likely be slow, especially if you want to get the design right. 
7. Now leave the t-shirt on a chair or hung up overnight once the design is done. This allows it breathe and sink in. 
8. Your t-shirt will be ready by morning. You can also iron the t-shirt on the cotton setting if you want to maximise the staying power of the design. This means that you can wash it and it should not fade as easily.





I hope you enjoyed that DIY, I enjoyed it, even though it took a lot of effort. Ta-ta for now, Nee x

No comments:

Post a Comment